Marriage by proxy, which means someone can stand in for a bride or groom who can’t be present at his or her own wedding, is limited to members of the U.S. Armed Forces. But of the four states that allow the practice—California, Colorado, Texas and Montana—Montana is the only one that allows double-proxy weddings.
2. Legal: Marriage Under the Age of 18 with Parental Consent
For a few months between 2007 and 2008, anyone under 18 could get married in the state of Arkansas with parental consent. That’s right, even babies could get married as long as their parents agreed.
3. Legal: To Annul a Marriage That Was Done on a Dare
Ever been dared to get married…as a prank? Neither have I. But apparently this happens often enough in Delaware that it’s actually an option when couples file for an annulment.
4. Illegal: To Marry the Same Man Four Times
In the state of Kentucky, it’s illegal to remarry the same man four times.
5. Legal: Man Must Prove Himself by Killing Birds
In Truro, Massachusetts, a groom-to-be must “prove himself manly’” prior to marriage by hunting and killing either six blackbirds or three crows.
6. Illegal: Married Couples to Sleep Nude in a Rented Room
Apparently, married couples are not allowed to sleep in the nude in a rented room in Massachusetts.
7.Illegal: For Men Over 16 to Propose Marriage—and Not Mean It
In South Carolina it is illegal for a man over 16 years old to propose marriage and not mean it. Doing so means he’s committing a misdemeanor under the Offenses Against Morality and Decency Act.
8. Illegal: Mistreatment of Mother-in-Law as Grounds for Divorce
Many husbands would probably say their mother-in-law isn’t their favorite person in the world. But for those who really, really dislike their wife’s mother, moving to Wichita, Kansas, might be a good option.
9. Illegal: For Married Couples to Kiss in Public on Sundays
The police can cuff you and throw you in jail—that is, if you live in Hartford, Connecticut…and it’s Sunday. Well, maybe not these days, but technically, it’s still illegal in this city for a man to kiss his wife on the Lord’s Day.
10. Illegal: For Palm Readers and Fortune Tellers to Officiate a Wedding
Information from this post was taken from Women’s Day: Live Well Everyday. Click here to view original article.